Thursday, May 14, 2015

Just a bit of laundry






Happy late Mother's Day to all you awesome women! Oh boy do I appreciate the women in my life who are far away at home and who are here in the Midwest and have adopted me temporarily.
This past week we were able to go on exchanges twice. It was a pretty crazy week, but for one of the exchanges I went to Winterset, which is almost an hour south east of Des Moines. Winterset is a small little town kind of like Kirksville was. It is also the hometown of John Wayne and there is a main road in town called John Wayne Boulevard. Just some random small town Iowa trivia for you! Also while we were teaching a lesson in Winterset this lady's dog was just so our of control. He was a puppy and was just nipping at us like crazy, he was gnawing on my achilles tendon in the middle of the lesson. It was so hard to not just kick him, but then the spirit would have definitely left and the lady probably wouldn't have become a new investigator! It was quite a unique experience, that's for sure. To top it off, he jumped up on the couch at one point and spastically nipped at my cheek, right under my eye! No crazy damage incurred, the lady is just lucky I rather teach than get all mad about a crazy puppy dog.
As I have been on exchanges with sisters I have learned a lot about the value of helping people feel Heavenly Father's love. One of my favorite quotes is from Maya Angelou I think, and it kind of goes like this: "People will forget what you say. People will forget what you say. But people will never forget how you make them feel." There is nothing more valuable in our relationships than helping others feel Father in Heaven's love. If our motivations are pure and we seek to act as Christ would, that love will emanate from us. Consoling and counseling others used to be awkward and pretty hard for me, and although I am not perfect, I feel my Father's love for His children as I comfort those that stand in need of comfort, and mourn with those that mourn. It is an amazing blessing to be on the Lord's errand. This lifelong call is available to us all and what a joy it is!
Love ya'll,
Sister Skaggs


No comments:

Post a Comment