Monday, December 1, 2014

Slip sliding away





Hey so this past week was an adventure. The weather has been crazy and everywhere. One night we were going home and it was in the 60s. I thought, "hmm I wonder if it will freeze tonight?" Woke up to everything covered in white. I think it froze. Saturday was in the 60s again and today it's in the 20s. I can't keep track of this Midwest weather! Well on Friday when a lot of the snow was melting Sister Paul and I were walking to the Salvation Army to give service (it's one of my favorite hours of the week) and I was trudging through sloshy snow and some ice. I was feeling pretty confident about my abilities. Then I took a step into the shade of a car. Foomp! My right leg went sprawling forward and my back leg came with my knee smashing to the ground. Instantly my right leg slipped out from under me and I was on my stomach in a push up position. All of that transpired in a good point two seconds. And there Sister Paul is chuckling because she knows all to well what I just went through. The Lord humbled me right quick and now I am very wary of dark places and stuff that looks like water but isn't. The worst part of it all is that I tore a hole in the knee of my tights.
These past few weeks I have learned a lot about how I have overcome and continue to overcome the trials of life. There are some that will pass and some that will never fleet in our mortal existence, but I have learned to love and appreciate my tirals by striving to do these things:

1. Control your mind and push Satan away
2. Choose to be happy
3. Count your blessings, talents, and gifts
4. Have an attitude of gratitude
5. Look for opportunities to serve and bless others
6. Recognize the hand of the Lord
7. Apply the Atonement

I am grateful for my trials. I thank my Father for them in prayer sometimes and it is weird, but I really am thankful. It is through our trials that our Lord shapes us into the people He wants us to be. It is through our trials that we can turn to Him and better our relationship with a Father that loves us unconditionally. It is through the hard times that we are stretched and strengthened. I am so grateful for this eternal truth and principle, for I am a better person today than I was yesterday because of the road bumps that have come my way.
Love yall,
Sister Skaggs 

No comments:

Post a Comment