Monday, November 24, 2014

Gringos no le gustan




So hunting season is in full bloom here in Northern Missouri. I've seen more camoflauge in the past two weeks than a city girl's eyes can bear. They like to wear bright neon orange as well, the two compliment each other nicely. Just last week a truck in front of us was pulling a trailer with a four wheeler on it. I looked closer and lodged right in between the four wheeler and the side of the trailer was a buck! Just sitting in there with his hooves sticking straight up in the air. Frozen dead deer carcas. Oh the things you will see in Missouri.
A week ago today we met a sweet old lady named Maria. She's from Mexico, has been in Missouri for 15 years and doesn't know a lick of English! Sister Paul and I talked to her in our broken Spanglish we have picked up being from Southern California. Her son owns a restaraunt here in town, the one I went to my first week here. It was nothing even close to special. Maria cooks there so I asked her why they don't serve good food like al pastor, carne asada, or lengua. She said "Gringos no le gustan." I just about had a fit! She said she makes tamales at Christmas time and I am banking on the fact that we will be teaching her then because I need some of those. We are going back tonight to teach her the Restoration with a member of our ward who speaks Spanish.
On Saturday we took our preparation day and went to the temple. It was a great experience to attend and feel the spirit of the Lord. It was neat because earlier in the week I watched a few short films about the building of the Nauvoo Temple and the things the early saints went through. The blessings of worshipping in the temple are available because of those early saints and i cannot be more thankful. I know that the work of the Lord is the work of salvation. It will not be frustrated or slowed, whether it be in the holy temples, in the mission field, or in our congregations. What a blessing it is to be alive and on the earth in the dispensation of the fullness of times! Oh how glorious is this work and the Lord's kingdom on the earth.
Love yall,
Sister Skaggs
 

No comments:

Post a Comment