Monday, December 29, 2014

Courtney's Christmas Spirit

                   Delivering cookies on Christmas Eve

Merry Christmas to yall! I hope it was a good holiday with family, friends, food, festivities, faith, and fun! I had a great Christmas here in Kirksville and we spent a lot of time with members. It was such a blessing to skype with my family and see how much my nephew John has grown! It was a supper low key Christmas, a perfect one to remember the birth of our Savior and keep Him on my mind throughout the day. On Christmas Eve we went to the Davis', an awesome family in our ward. they have a tradition to turn of the lights, sit on the floor, and eat foods that Christ would have eaten for dinner by candlelight. It was super fun as we passed around fish, nuts, cheese, olives, and some pita bread. After skyping with my family the next day we went to a member's house, Sister Jenson. She is totally rad and had a craft for us to do! I will send a picture in the next week or so when it's completed. We then made biscuits and gravy for dinner from Sister Paul's family recipe. So good! We were stuffed with goodness and I slept like a baby.
Something interesting happened was that a couple of weeks ago, I was asked to lead the music for our Zone Training Meeting. If you know me at all, you know I do not have the knack for the musical talent of singing, let alone leading music in front of 20 plus people! Well that was a couple weeks ago and I managed. This week, our district leader asked me to lead music for District Meeting! "What is goin on here?!" is exactly what I thought. I got through it without losing my place or messing up the pattern in the sky, thankfully. I guess the Lord is wanting me to develop some new talents!
Yesterday at church I had a really great experience as I listened to a young twelve year old boy address the congregation. He was giving a talk on prayer and was really doing a great job as he referenced scriptures and quotes, and shared a personal story. I was listening intently and realized almost suddenly the power of the Holy Ghost. It was a strong feeling, one that confirmed the truthfulness of the message of this young and squirmy deacon. The spirit testifies of truth, whether the prophet or a twelve year old boy is speaking. I have felt the spirit in homes that have nick knacks and dog hair overwhelming the senses and in homes where there isn't a pillow missing on the couch and family pictures adorn the walls. I have felt the spirit as I have boldly testified of God's love and as I have been turned away at the door as I testify of latter-day prophets. The Holy Ghost enters in where truth is found. May we strive to find truth, embrace truth, and live the truths we know so as to receive more fully and more often the sweet manifestations of that member of the Godhead, even the Holy Spirit.
Love yall,
Sister Skaggs

No comments:

Post a Comment