Tuesday, July 21, 2015

Gratitude for the Pioneers


Sister Skaggs and Sister Williams



Wowzers this past week was beyond great! We had a couple scares with investigators and them keeping the commandments but Miatta is still on track to be baptized this Saturday, and Sylvia will be next week! Miatta is on fire for Jesus, and was totally feeling the spirit at church yesterday! She said a prayer in gospel principles and was just so happy. It is an amazing blessing to help others feel the joy of the gospel. There really is nothing like it.
We also had Zone Conference here in Des Moines and it was super fun to see a bunch of Elders and Sisters who are my friends. It's like a huge family reunion! It was also a major revelatory experience as we heard trainings from our mission leaders. President Jensen talked about Joseph Smith. He said "we do not worship Jospeh Smith like many of our Christian brothers and sisters think, but we do honor him." President Jensen has a great love for the Prophet Joseph and the work that he did. As he spoke the spirit did not teach me anything new, rather the truths I have known for some time now entered deeper into my heart. I thought of Joseph's extreme sacrifice, the valiant early saints who crossed Iowa in pursuit of religious freedom, and my ancestors who had received their temple ordinances in Nauvoo, Illinois. It was amazing to feel the spirit in such a way. I said the closing prayer for the meeting and was overcome with extreme gratitude as I prayed. I sobbed as I blessed the food and thanked a loving Heavenly Father for this sacred mission. I am blessed to be able to go to Nauvoo this Wednesday to attend the temple and watch the British Pageant. I know that the spirit will be stronger than ever there in "Joseph's City" as I more spiritually understand how amazing this place really is.
In Relief Society yesterday a sister taught and talked about the "froth of the earth." Things that really don't matter. News, social media, athletic events, movies, America's Next Top Model marathons. All of it is froth. As a missionary I have been blessed to discern what matters most. And I am grateful to be here in this most sacred land, solely doing what matters most. There is nothing more important than the work of salvation. I say it all the time because it is true. The Lord and His work are number one! May the spirit bless our hearts to more deeply understand this precious truth.
Love y'all,
Sister Skaggs

No comments:

Post a Comment